Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Children of Men

I finished reading P.D. James' Children of Men a few days ago, but was waiting to watch the movie before I posted my thoughts... Truthfully, I don't know why I still insist on sometimes watching the film after reading the book. It's almost always a disappointment. The film had nothing of the atmosphere of the book. And the story was SO different!! That really bugged me, even relationships between characters differed. I'm no movie maker but I could think of a few places where sticking to the original story would not have been that difficult. Oh and the ending was so cheesy that even I couldn't stand it.

The book was good. I'm not normally a fan of suspense/thriller type books, but I wanted to read this one because I loved the storyline. It's the future and the youngest human dies at 18. People are infertile and the human race is close to dying out. Aside from the storyline, I liked the detail with which P.D. James painted the world where children don't exist. All the little touches were fascinating. Some were horrifying - the book reminded me of Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go in that it explored what people are capable of ignoring or pretending not to know if only it benefits them.

I decided to try rating books and I'm giving this one 3-stars: good, enjoyable, I'd reccommend it as a fun read. The movie gets one star. If that.

No comments: