Monday, March 9, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I read F. Scott Fitzgerald's now-famous story through Daily Lit, which I'm completely in love with. Reading a short story like this was very enjoyable - except I kept wanting to find out what happens next so I read more than one installment per day. Oh well.

The story is about Benjamin, who is about 70 when he is born and who progresses through his life by steadily getting younger and younger until he dies as an infant. The idea was really good - kind of too good for a short story because there isn't much scope to develop it. I now want to watch the film, has anyone seen it?

I want to count short stories as something towards my goals for the year and am stealing the idea that Lezlie had - once my short story page count reaches 300-350pp I will count it as a book. I won't count this towards my goal of 100 books this year, but I will count it as part of my end-of-year tally. Thanks Lezlie!

3 comments:

Lezlie said...

Always happy to help! :-) How did you count the Daily Lit story? Did you just estimate page count or is it listed somehow? I haven't read any short stories on that yet, but it seems a good way to go!

Lezlie

joanna said...

I looked for the page count on amazon... Couldn't think of a better way! :-)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

What a great idea for counting short stories toward a book! I might have to borrow that idea from Lezlie as well. Fitzgerald has some really great stories. I'd also recommend May Day and Diamond As Big as the Ritz.