Friday, April 18, 2008

This Book Will Save Your Life

I finished reading A.M. Homes' well-known book several days ago, but I simply didn't know what to say about it. So I didn't say anything.

I didn't dislike it. But I can't say that I liked it either. I suspect that missed the point.

The story is about a man living in LA - he has isolated himself from the world and from people. One night he has what feels like a heart attack or something and he thinks that maybe 'this is it'. It's not and as his story unfolds, some strange things happen to him and he ends up meeting some of the people who exist around him, including his neighbor. I guess you can say that he joins the living again and all his relationships are improved - including a very difficult one with his son.

I know that one of the points of the book is that we need others, we need their company and we need to feel needed. But I can't say that reading it made me go 'wow'. I'd be interested to know if you liked it as much as some of the reviewers did! It's a only a C in my book and I'm not even sure that I want to read any more by A.M. Homes. At least it counts towards the Initials Reading Challenge!

I hate being disappointed - I had really high expectations of both the book and the author.

No comments: