Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chicken with Plums

Oh my, I read this so long ago now that I can't remember that much about it! I know I loved it when I read it as it's marked as a favorite on my list. And I know that it's written by Marjane Satrapi, who also wrote the fantastic Persepolis. Chicken with Plums was just as good in terms of the genius of coupling serious subject matter with the graphic medium and complicated issues with the simple drawings.

I got this book from the lovely Melody, my secret santa. Thanks Melody, I really enjoyed it!

If you're not into comics but would like to try them, Marjane Satrapi is a good place to start and Chicken with Plums is a good one of hers to start with, as it's short but endearing.

Anyway, enough vague comments! I hope that all of you are well. I'm fine, back at work now and trying to find a balance between that and family life and my own stuff. It's hard but I'm having a great time!

Challenges: Graphic Novels Challenge, 2010 Countdown Challenge

6 comments:

Melody said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Joanna! And that reminds me I need to read Persepolis soon! :)

joanna said...

Hi Melody! Yes, you deifnitely should read that soon, you'll like it, I think!

Eva said...

Welcome back! I hope you find your balance soon. :)

I wasn't a big fan of Persephone, but I did enjoy Embroideries so I'll probably give this a try at some point.

joanna said...

Thanks Eva! I don't have Embroideries yet, but I'm sure I'll get it! :-)

Aarti said...

I haven't done any of the books by this author, though I watched the movie version of Persephone. And now I feel like since EVERYONE has read these, I'm not sure if I would get anything that interesting from them. But I do love the whole graphic memoir genre :-)

joanna said...

Oh do try it Aarti, it's so good!!!