Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hell's Belles by Jackie Kessler

This was my second Kindle book and the first I actually paid for. I bought it immediately after reading Jackie Kessler's guest post and interview during the fabulous Smugglivus event organised by the The Book Smugglers. She just sounded so cool and the fact that Joss Whedon thinks so too and she was asked to do some writing for the Buffyverse comics, well, I couldn't not see what she was about after that.


Hell's Belles is about a succubus demon called Jezebel. She likes what she is and enjoys working out of hell, until some changes are introduced. She then leaves and tries to make it as a human. You're not given all the information at the beginning though... the book starts pretty much with Jesse's human life and all you know is that some hell beasts are after her. 


A succubus demon is a sex demon and I admit that there were parts where I could have done without the sex scenes. But Jesse is sex and she works in a strip joint so there isn't any way of skipping over those bits.

Other than that (and it's possible to get over it and into the story), the book is great. The story is interesting, the characters are interesting and I love what Kessler did with the heaven/hell/God/Lucifer story that is general knowledge. And I love her writing style, it's engaging and really brings the story alive. It totally works for me.


I'm definitely curious as to what will happen next and am glad that The Road to Hell is out there. And of course I can't wait to see what Kessler contributed to the Buffyverse!

Challenges: 2011 Challenge, What's in a Name 4

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVED these books by Jackie. Jezebel is one of THE coolest female characters I've ever read. She has absolutely no shame in who she is and I love it. Very steamy read, too!

joanna said...

Hi Gina - yes, that's really what's great about Jezebel, she honestly knows who she is and likes who she is. I'm looking forward to seeing how she fares in a more 'normal' human life in the next book!

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

Writing a good sex scene is an art form!

It‘s interesting to note the ongoing repercussions of Smugglivus - must participate this year!

joanna said...

Alex - participate at your own risk, my TBR list exploded! :-)