Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Some thoughts on Sookie Stackhouse

I'm back from a week in London, where I went with work for WorldSkills 2011, which is actually a really cool event, basically like the Olympics but for skills. Everything went and well and I got to see three shows in the evenings (hmmm, maybe I should do a separat post on how fabulous they were?), as well as catch up with friends, so I feel like I got the most I could out of the week.

Now it's time for more catching up... I wish I was better at keeping up with reviews and updating this blog and reading all your blogs, but life is hectic. What can I say?

A large chunk of my reading time over the past months has been spent with the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. There were books that I enjoyed more than others, but in general I'm liking this series a lot. Sookie is sassy, witty, intelligent and oh-so-real, I'd like to know her in real life, I think. Although if she comes with all the monsters attached then I might change my mind! Since the last book in the series that I talked about here, Living Dead in Dallas, Sookie has had about a million adventures. Lots of things around her have changed, people (and un-people) have come and gone, but she has remained the same old Sookie. She evolves and grows, but stays true to herself.

In Club Dead, Sookie has trouble with steady vampire boyfriend Bill -can he be trusted or should she dump him?

In Dead to the World, Sookie finds herself helping Eric, the powerful vampire she never really had time for. Thing is that he's lost his memory after some particularly powerful witches appeared on the scene and he really does need help. This was my favorite of the series so far... I loved the Eric/Sookie dynamic and I loved the introduction of witches and magic. It gets more and more like Buffy with each book! ;-)

In Dead as a Doornail, Sookie's focus is on her brother Jason, a new were-panther who seems to be a target for someone deadly. We get more insights into the were community in this book, makes for very interesting reading!

In Definitely Dead, Sookie goes off to New Orleans to clean out her cousin Hadley's appartment. Hadley had been a vampire and had been murdered. She had also been close to the local vampire queen so now Sookie has to deal with her too. And with more witches as well.

I don't want to give details not to spoil anyone's fun... But the stories are engaging and the characters are fun, I'm enjoying the books. I want to watch the TV series too, but was told that it doesn't follow the chronology of the books so I prefer to read them first!

2 comments:

Larissa said...

I love this series! Glad you like it too. I'm not a big fan of Quinn, though.
Somehow once I started to read this series I just couldn't stop. The only thing that actually stopped me was because there are no more paperbacks, I have to wait for the last one!

Karen A Wyle said...

I loved the first books in the series, and enjoyed the series through about book 8. They're getting quite dark, but more than that, Harris' voice seems to be gradually draining out of them, as if both she and Sookie were going through the motions....