Monday, July 13, 2009

More challenges done

Chris at Stuff Dreams Are Made Of and Robin at A Fondness for Reading are hosting a very special challenge in honor of Dewey from The Hidden Side of A Leaf, who was a crucial part of the book-blogging community before she recently passed away.

The challenge was to read books that Dewey had reviewed on her own blog. I wanted to take the challenge one step further and read books that I heard of through Dewey, but it didn't really work out that way. I'll be keeping my original reading list for another time though!

Here's what I ended up reading:
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Kindred was the only book that I'd heard of through Dewey and it was my favorite of the lot. I can't wait to read more by this author!

Chris and Robin - this was a wonderful idea, thank you.

___________________________________________________

It's also the end of the It's the End of the World (As We Know It) challenge, hosted by Becky. I loved this challenge - I think these dystopian novels are a great genre for me somehow! I'm really glad that I discovered so many and look forward to read more - see my original list for ideas...

Here's what I read:
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Messenger by Lois Lowry
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

I can't possibly choose a favorite between Atwood and Lowry... I love both these authors!

Thanks Becky, I loved doing this, looking forward to the next edition!

2 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

I finished both of these challenges too, and I could have read books for both twice over. I notice we've read none the same. Good to see some new titles for the dystopian list, I love dystopian novels for some reason.

Dewey's list are such a great place to get book ideas.
Well done on both!

joanna said...

I love dystopican too, more and more, I'll go over to your blog and get the titles of what you read!