Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Two challenges to help me along the 1001 books list

There are two challenges out there that relate to reading books from the '1001 books you must read before you die list' - a list which I've made in to a long term reading project. I'm joining both of them because they're compatible, so why not? :-)

The 10 out of 100 out of 1001 challenge runs from 1 May to 31 October 2008 and requires one book per ten from the first 100 - so ten books. If you've already read something from a group of ten you can skip that group. Go to the challenge blog for more coherent information. Here's my list:

1-10: skipped (I've read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro)
11-20: skipped (I 've read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon)
21-30: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
31-40: Gabriel's Gift by Hanif Kureishi
41-50: skipped (I've read Atonement by Ian McEwan and Life of Pi by Yann Martel)
51-60: The Devil and Miss Prym by Paolo Coelho
61-70: The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
71-80: Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
81-90: Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
91-100 The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

That makes 7 - I'm adding the following ones to make the ten required for the 1% well-read challenge, which runs through to 28 February 2009:
1. Perfume – Patrick Süskind
2. The Color Purple – Alice Walker
3. The Third Policeman – Flann O’Brien

I should be able to make at least one of these challenges! :-)

5 comments:

Lezlie said...

I'm considering the "10 Out of 100", too. I've already signed on for the "1% Well-Read". All the help we can get on that 1001 List is appreciated, right? :-) I happy to see so many people checking it out!

Lezlie

joanna said...

Yeah, it looks like it's becoming more and more popular alright. I like the way 10 out of 100 is organised, I really didn't know how to approach this project with so many books unfamiliar to me on the list!

1morechapter said...

Glad to have you on the 1% challenge!
Michelle
1morechapter.com

joanna said...

Thanks Michelle - glad to be able to join you!

mee said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge! :) I just got back from holiday and have yet to make the wrap-up post.

~mee
www.meexia.com/bookie