Friday, June 20, 2008

Gabriel's Gift

I'd never even heard of Gabriel's Gift by Hanif Kureishi - I found it on the list of 1001 books you must read before you die and only because I was looking for a book that fit into the Title Master Reading Challenge. I am very, very glad that I came across it, because I ended up really enjoying it!

The story is about a boy named Gabriel growing up in London. He comes from a fairly normal dysfunctional family (I'm sure you know what I mean) - his parents split up and each of them has loads of issues and somehow rely on Gabriel for all sorts of things. I really loved the quick and witty writing style, as well as the way the characters' paths met up and influenced one another.

A short book that really deserves to be read.

Challenges: Title Master Reading Challenge, 1% well-read challenge, 10 out of 100 out of 1000, A-Z Challenge, Novella Challenge

1 comment:

Lezlie said...

I hadn't seen this one yet. Looks like another good one! I'm really enjoying the 1001 List so far.

Have a great weekend!
Lezlie