Saturday, October 31, 2009

Morrigan's Cross - and R.I.P. IV challenge done!


Wow, that book sure was fun! I'd never read anything by Nora Roberts before, I don't read romance novels like hers, but I read somewhere that the Circle Trilogy was cool and I was attracted by the promise of Irish lore. It delivered that and it threw in some vampire action too!

Morrigan's Cross is the first book in the trilogy and basically sets the stage for an apocalypse. The Morrigan, Irish goddess of the battlefield (amongst other things) singles out a group of people to lead the battle against Lilith, vampire queen. What's not to like? Plus, being the Buffy geek that I am, I was happy to see a reference to the Slayer - actually, the whole story had many Buffy similarities, though not in an annoying way.

I know that this book isn't for everyone, but if you like Celtic myths and vampires then try it! It has the required cheesy romance bits in it too, but they're easy enough to overlook!

Challenges: 1st in a series, 2010 Countdown Challenge, A-Z Challenge, Celebrate the Author (October 30), R.I.P. IV
____________________________


This book concludes Carl's R.I.P. Challenge for me - great fun as always! Of the books I read... hey, I loved all of them! Here they are - Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts plus

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Linqvist
No Time for Goodbye by Lynwood Barclay
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, volume 1 by Joss Whedon et al.


Thanks Carl, for hosting, I enjoy this challenge every single year!

5 comments:

Marg said...

I am glad to see a non romance reader give this one a go!

Kailana said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge!

joanna said...

Marg - yeah, sometimes it's good to read something different!

Kailana - thanks! :-)

Iliana said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge!

We have the film version of Let the Right One In and I can't wait to see it :)

joanna said...

Iliana - I'm waiting until my bf finishes reading it, then we'll watch the film as well. :-)