Friday, May 15, 2009

Gathering Blue

I fell in love with Lois Lowry's books when I read The Giver and Number the Stars last year. I guess the way that she addresses what I consider important and interesting issues really works for me. I ordered Gathering Blue right after finishing The Giver, since it's part of a loose trilogy, and the book has been sitting on my shelf for about year. Isn't that always the way?

Gathering Blue tackles similar issues to The Giver in that it portrays a community that forms after the end of the world as we know it today. Some cataclysm comes and everything is destroyed and small societies form. In this one, the community lives in primitive conditions, has no technology and few comforts. It is rules by hierarchy though and, of course, the people at the top, the rich ones, have loads more comfort than the others can possibly imagine. They also take more liberties than we'd expect.

The main character, a girl called Kira, is born with a disability and has to constantly prove her worth, to contribute to a society that doesn't tolerate such weakness. She is proud and strong and smart and I liked her very much. I don't want to say too much, as the story is intriguing as it unfolds, so you'll have to get the book yourself to meet Kira.

Gathering Blue wasn't as strong as The Giver, but I liked it all the same and am ordering the last one in the trilogy, Messenger, today. Apparently Jonas from The Giver meets up with Kira! :-)

Challenges: 999 Challenge, It's the end of the world, Countdown Challenge, Young Adult Challenge

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I agree - not as good as The Giver, but still an awesome book :)

Kailana said...

I kind of wonder if part of the reason I wasn't as big a fan of these books as other people is because it has been several years since I read The Giver. Maybe I should've reread it... I hope you enjoy Gossamer, though! I did!