Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

What took me so long? People around me have been loving Jane Austen for a very long time and I still held on to my 'classic are boring' frame of mind. I've been making such an effort to read more classics in the past few years and I'm happy with how I'm doing - but I was still wary of Jane Austen. How can a love story set 'back then' be of any interest? How can it compare with today's chick lit books? I won't be able to relate!

So. Not. True.

I absolutely loved Pride and Prejudice when I read it in December. I loved Lizzie and her defiance and her softness. I loved Jane and her calmness and wisdom. I loved their father and the way he looked at a life he wasn't entirely happy with. I loved Darcy. The mom and some of the sisters got on my nerves at times, but it wouldn't have been a very good story without them.

I felt so much while I was reading this. The emotion is incredible. And Austen's humor, wit, sarcasm were all completely, utterly unexpected. Pride and Prejudice was a real pleasure to read and I can't wait to read another Austen.

I ordered the BBC adaptation from Amazon. And in the meantime watched Bridget Jones, she has a Darcy too, right? :-)

10 comments:

Mady said...

I've only found Jane Austen fairly recently - I guess it was by watching the BBC series of "Pride and Prejudice" and then I was interested in the book - and I loved it! I still have a few Jane Austen books to read that I've been "saving" :)

Bridget Jones is a modern version of Pride and Prejudice - if you start thinking of the novel and try to modernize it, you see how Bridget Jones was born.

Btw, I came to find your blog through Alex :)

Lezlie said...

I felt the same way! I didn't think I would care for it, and I ended up loving it.

I hope you're doing fabulously!
Lezlie

joanna said...

Mady - welcome! :-) Yes, exactly, that's why I was craving a re-watching of Bridget Jones. It was great! :-)

Lezlie! It's fun when you're surprised like that. How are you doing? I'm doing fabulously indeed. :-)

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

Welcome to the club!

Other Pride & Prejudice adaptations you can borrow from me: the 2005 movie and the fun Bollywood version “Bride & Prejudice”.

Anonymous said...

Jane austen's reputation is certainly well deserved. I love her sense of humor too!

Iliana said...

Have you not seen the BBC production before? OMG, Mr. Darcy - such eye candy. You are in for a treat :)

I do love Bridget Jones too!

I haven't read P&P but can highly recommend Persuasion by Jane Austen. It's fantastic.

Erin said...

I still have never read a Jane Austen novel! I've decided this is the year I'll get through one, and I hope my reaction is as positive as yours!

joanna said...

Alex - Thanks, I'd like to borrow the movie but I've already seen Bride and Prejudice, it's a great movie!!

reviewsbylola - you'd think I could have believed her reputation earlier... but hey, better late than never!

Iliana - OK, I'll try Persuasion, that's one I haven't heard much about.

Erin - ooh, I think you're in for a treat!

Kristi said...

I love this book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I too was surprised by Austen's wit.

You should try the 2005 movie. I actually prefer it to the BBC one.

Eva said...

I'm glad you loved it! :)