Monday, January 3, 2011

TV shows I love

I've seen many, many posts about TV shows around the blogosphere and have been wanting to do a TV post of my own for ages.

I love TV. Intelligent TV, escapist TV, funny TV. Joe and I spend our evenings watching series on DVD and we feel only slightly guilty about it. We've discovered loads of shows that we both like so we have many choices and we keep discovering more.

Last night, we watched the first couple of episodes of Season One of Glee and the first episode of Season One of Mad Men. All were FANTASTIC and I think I can honestly say that both shows will be up there with our favorites - Buffy, Angel, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Outnumbered, Arrested Development.

A word on Glee - oh my Gods, can a show be any more perfect? All that beautiful singing, all that great choreography and all set in a high school, which is my preferred fun setting! The script is great - funny, quirky and quick. A couple of lines in the first episodes made me laugh so hard I had to pause the show. Fabulous.

And Mad Men. I have a specific interest in the 1950s, especially in the role/treatment of women and I'm also fascinated by the advertising industry and how they pass messages to us. I loved the first episode and can't wait to watch more. Though the treating-women-like-shit thing makes me very angry and I end up yelling at the TV...

What are your favorite shows? Anything I need to buy? :-)

6 comments:

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

My greatest discovery of 2010: Downton Abbey. It's perfect if you like a good costume drama. Think Gosford Park in a series.

I also continue to love Castle and House.

Tasha said...

Arrested Development, what an awesome show that was. Like Alexandra above, I also enjoy Castle.

joanna said...

Alex - I'm not sure about costume drama... should try it and see!

Charley - It was! So funny and clever!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Ha! I'm glad you're loving Glee so far. I mean--breaking into song randomly? Can it get better? ;)

I've been thinking about doing a post like this for a long time--but I've been too busy watching TV to blog. ;)

Wish I watched Mad Men!

joanna said...

Trish - No, it can't get better. I think Glee is perfection for me. :-) I look forward to your future tv post, maybe I'll discover something new that hasn't hit Europe yet!

Bev Sykes said...

My new favorite show is "White Collar" on USA. Love it.