Monday, October 26, 2009

Another few challenges finished!

Another few challenges down, yay!

I finally completed the Genre Challenge, hosted by Bookworms and Tealovers. I really liked the idea of this, to read from various genres, including ones totally out of your comfort zone. Because of this challenge I picked up books I would have never read - ok, some were better and some were worse, but I'm glad I tried them. For a full list of what I read, go to my original challenge post. My favorites were as follows:

Out by Natsuo Kirino
The Carbon Diaries 2015 by Saci Lloyd
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

with a special mention for:
Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist (for originality)
Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot (just because it's really fun chick-lit)

I did NOT enjoy the western fiction book I chose, Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey, but would be willing to try something else in this genre if anyone has any suggestions.

Anyway, thanks Bookworms and Tealovers for hosting this fabulous challenge!

______________________________________

The 2009 Suspense & Thriller Reading Challenge,hosted by J. Kaye's Book Blog, is also now complete. Last year, I decided that I wanted to read more suspense/mystery so I'm pleased that I managed to actually do this.

For a complete list of what I read, visit my original challenge post. In the meantime, here are my favorites:

Out by Natsuo Kirino
The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant
No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

with a special mention for:
Murder on a Bad Hair Day by Anne George (just because it's such a charming series)

Most surprising to me was the fact that I did not enjoy The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson at all... I wanted to, what with everyone raving about it, but it just didn't work for me.

In any case, thanks J.Kaye for hosting - I hope you continue this one next year (hint, hint)!

______________________________________

And last but not least, the War Through Generations challenge hosted by Anna and Serenais now also complete! This year's theme was World War II, which was fairly easy for me to complete, it's a theme I'm very interested in.

Of the books I read, my favorite was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - absolutely wonderful! A special mention must be given to Night by Elie Wiesel - if you know the book, the reason for this will be obvious.

Thanks for hosting, I enjoyed this immensely and hope that you will continue next year!

12 comments:

Kailana said...

Congrats on finishing the challenges!

Lezlie said...

Excellent! You're making great progress!

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing these:)

I read Out a couple of weeks back, and I'd been reading the Dexter novels just before that. Combined, I ended up having nightmares that people want to chop me up and dispose of me. It's something I could've done without....

I really want to read The Guernsey Society & Potato Peel Society.

Also, think you're the first person who hasn't enjoyed the Larsson. I haven't read it - waiting for the third book to come out in paperback. Off to read your review....

Ana S. said...

Hooray! Congrats, Joanna :)

Anonymous said...

For the S/T Reading Challenge, you need to put them in separate sub-genres. The goal was to read "Read TWELVE (12) different sub-genres of thrillers"

Congrats!

1morechapter said...

Congratulations on finishing your challenges!

joanna said...

anothercookie - I get nightmares from books too, although I didn't after Out. I did get them for months after I read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas though... I hope you're sleeping better now! :-)

Nymeth - thanks! :-)

J.Kaye - hmmm... I think I'll just count it as finished as it is, I seem to have ignored the sub-genre bit... Ah well!

3M - thanks! :-)

Chrisbookarama said...

Congrats! I'll be finished the RIP IV Challenge sometime this week.

joanna said...

Chris - I'll be finishing that one up too, it's one of my favorites!

Kim said...

Great job! I just finished up 3 challenges today and one of them was the War one also.
Happy Reading!
Kim

joanna said...

Thanks Kim! And congrats on finishing up yours too!

Anna said...

Congrats on finishing the challenges! I'll make sure all your reviews are on War Through the Generations soon. We're thrilled that you enjoyed participating.

We will be continuing next year, but focusing on a different war. We're pulling everything together, and will let everyone know soon. We'll definitely revisit WWII at some point, though. I still have a ton of related books on my shelves!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric