Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Finds


Ah it's been a long week. My Mom's been here to look after baby Shane, as the daycare center is closed for its annual holiday, and still I'm tired. She leaves tonight and that leaves one more week of work and then we too get to go off on vacation. I can't wait!

I already started to put together a reading list for when we're away. I'm not sure how much reading I'll actually get done, but we're going by car so space isn't so much of an issue. I have 10 books so far... and I should really only take a few since there are loads of second-hand bookstores in Wales so I'm sure to get loads of new stuff too...Sigh.

In the meantime, here are some titles that caught me eye this week.

Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker
Why? I saw it in Nymeth's 1930s Challenge Round-up and Andreea's review made it sound so entertaining!

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
Why? Another one from Nymeth's 1930s Challenge Round-up. Margot at Joyfully Retired reviewed it, plus it's one of Nymeth's 2010 favorites, plus I've been meaning to read something by Sayers forever.

Address Unknown by Katherine Kressman Taylor
Why? Also from Nymeth's 1930s Challenge Round-up, this one seems to be one of those hidden gems. Fence at Susan Hated Literature read it and she says that it gives you a completely different perspective on the Nazis and World War II. Like Nymeth, I also like books that go past the 'black-and-white' explanations, plus World War II fascinates me, so I guess I absolutely have to get my hands on this one.

Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sachs
Why? Eva mentioned it as a good science book and I liked the comments on Amazon. I've also been wanting to read his The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

* Friday Finds is a weekly event hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Go on, join in the fun!

7 comments:

Ana S. said...

I'm very excited you want to ready Gaudy Night, but I have to warn you it really wouldn't work as an introduction to Sayers or as a standalone. You need all the backstory to make it work, unfortunately. So it's best to start with Strong Poison, then read Have His Carcase, and THEN you can safely read Gaudy Night :P

joanna said...

Ah! Thanks for the tip Nymeth, I'll be sure to start with Strong Poison then!

Aleksandra said...

Great finds! Haven't read any of those books, but they sound interesting :)

Melody said...

Hope the one week passes quickly for you so you can look forward to your vacation! :D

Those books sound great! Hope you've a wonderful weekend ahead!

Eva said...

Yay! Uncle Tungsten is one of my very favourites of Sacks, who is one of my favourite authors. :) And I'm glad you're going to start with Strong Poison; as Nymeth said, starting with Gaudy Night wouldn't do it full justice.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Gaudy Night sounds like a good one

joanna said...

Aleksandra - I sure hope they'll be interesting!

Melody - Thanks, I hope it passes quickly too!

Eva - I've been wanting to read Sacks for sooo long, his books are so intriguing.

Mistress - apparently you need to start with Strong Poison, Gaudy Night isn't a standalone.

gautami - Thanks!