Saturday, July 10, 2010

Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume

I always knew Judy Blume as THE writer for tween girls - I loved her books when I was 10, 11, 12, she was one of the only authors I could find whose characters I really identified with. I'd heard of Then Again, Maybe I Won't when I was a tween myself, but for some reason had never read it. Imagine by surprise when it turned out the star of the story is a boy!

The Again, Maybe I Won't is about a young boy whose family comes into some money and moves into a big house in a rich neighborhood. He is forced to leave his friends and to get used to this new environment, where he finds that rich people come with a whole new set of problems. All while dealing with the usual pre-teen boy issues and growing up.

I'm obviously not a boy, but I thought that these boy issues were really well-dealt with. I'd be curious to hear an actual boy's opinion though! :-)

I enjoyed the fact that it's so dated. I loved how the family, including an infant, were going somewhere by car and the adults would just pass the baby around to feed it, burp it etc. Nowadays you're not allowed to go home from the hospital without a car seat. How times have changed and the 80s weren't even that long ago! Or does it just seem that way because I'm getting old? :-)

I think that anything by Judy Blume is worth reading, that's my main message to you!

No comments: