Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Ever since I got addicted to Buffy I have loved vampire stories. No, let me rephrase that, I love quality vampire stories. That needed to be clarified, since there are soooo many vampire books out there now. I certainly haven't tried them all - I enjoy the MaryJanice Davidson Queen Betsy books and I thought that Twilight was ok. I have a couple more on my shelf. And I decided to buy the Charlaine Harris box set when it was on sale at Amazon a few months ago.

I absolutely loved Dead until Dark. One of the Amazon reviews said that if a realistic vampire story is possible then this is it. I totally agree. The world Harris created is not one where monsters attack you after it gets dark. It's a world where vampires are tolerated since the Japanese invented fake blood. In fact, they're explained away by a virus that makes them seem dead.

In this world lives Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress with a disability - she can read minds. This 'condition' has  made sure that she was always on the periphery of society and she has managed to build some sort of life for herself within these constraints. Enter vampire Bill - how can Sookie not fall for him?

Great characters, great story, great book. The only reason why I'm not reading the next book right away is that I've read too much supernatural recently and needed a more 'normal' novel. But I'll certainly be back for more soon!

Challenges: 2010 Countdown Challenge

No comments: