Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gods in Alabama by Joshlyn Jackson

"There are Gods in Alabama. I know because I killed one." - says the back cover of Joshlyn Jackson's book. How could I not be intrigued?

I started reading the first chapter and immediately found out about the body that Lena successfully hid and the deal she made with God, certain things she promised to change in herself and in her life if the body was never found. Thing is, Lena's past is catching up with her and her future beckons. How can she agree to a serious longterm relationship when she has these kinds of secrets?

Gods in Alabama is about teens who think they know it all and about the adults they become, trying to correct some of the mistakes they made along the way. It's also about the power of family and the loyalty that comes with it.

It's a good book about the American south and about personal values. Enjoyable.

Challenges: 2010 Countdown Challenge, What's in a Name 3

2 comments:

Eva said...

I enjoyed this one too! :)

joanna said...

Hi Eva - I'm glad you did too!