Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chloë

Freya North's novel Chloë is my 'N' author book for the A-Z Challenge. It's been sitting on my shelf for years - in fact, I don't think I bought it myself, I think that an old roommate left it behind when she moved out. I've been kind of wanting to read it, but I wasn't sure that I would like it so I kept putting it off.

I liked it. I thought the beginning was a bit slow and it took me a while to get into it, but once I did I didn't want to put it down. It's the story of Chloë's journey of self-discovery but it's not cheesy or pretentious. Chloë's godmother dies and leaves her instructions (and money) to go to specific places in the four parts of the United Kingdom. So Chloë leaves London and travels to Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England - her adventures are interesting, amusing and thought-provoking.

Having expected a mediocre book, I'm happy to say that I give it 4 stars, recommend it readily and will be reading Freya North's other work.

No comments: