Monday, May 5, 2008

Like Life

I did not like Lorrie Moore's short story collection at all. I'm surprised, actually, because judging from comments I've heard or read I expected to like it a lot. I guess sometimes that's just the way it is.

I thought the characters were two-dimensional and not believable. I didn't care about any of them. I started each story with a fair bit of hope that 'this one would be different', but I just couldn't connect to any of them or to the storylines and by the end I was only half-reading. The stories were all about people and how they relate to others - the prevalent feeling I got was one of desperation.

Has anyone else read this? Perhaps I just didn't get the point! If you have, leave me a link to your review in the comments of this post, I'd be interested in the views of others!

I think this is the first book I read this year that I really disliked (a D-), so I won't focus on it too much. It contributes to the A-Z Challenge and the Title Master Reading Challenge. It's also one of the 1000 books you must read before you die, which surprises me, but hey, there are a thousand books on the list, what are the chances of liking all of them!

2 comments:

Lezlie said...

Hi, Joanna! This one is on the 1001 List? I'll get to it eventually then. Bummer that you didn't like it.

I hope things are good with you!
Lezlie

joanna said...

Hi Lezlie! Yep, it's on the list, I'd be interested in seeing what you make of it.
Everything is fine, just busy these days - things should be calmer soon, I imagine!