Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Witch Child

This book by Celia Rees has been on my wishlist for ages and I finally got a copy via bookmooch. It's about Mary, an orphaned English girl whose Grandmother is accused of being a witch and hanged. Mary is sent to America with a group of Puritans to escape the witch hunts. As you can imgaine, things aren't so nice and rosy on the other side either.

The story is told by Mary herself, in the form a journal. It gives the reader an idea of what life would have been like in the 1600s - the mistrust, the fear, the paranoia. Plus it doesn't paint the Indians as the bad guys, which is always a plus for me.

It's meant for young adults so it has a certain nice innocence to it. I enjoyed it, although found it a bit overly simplistic at times. But hey, it's not meant for my age group!

No comments: