Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Slow reading month...

And I thought moving month was slow! Now that we're in the house arranging, unpacking, decorating, etc. I'm getting hardly any reading time at all... If I wait until I actually finish a book before I post again I'll lose all my blogging friends, so I thought I'd post about what I'm reading instead.

I'm on the second section of Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky... A great book, especially knowing that she lived what she wrote about. I love that the focus is on regular people and the regular things that they worry about. As in, young girls still think about love... It's so hard to get my head around it all though - I can't imagine having to live through anything like that and yet it could happen and we'd all have to just go on. It's a strange thought that makes me want to try and stop worrying and just be happy. Too bad worrying is such a big part of me and so unshakable. :-)

I couldn't get myself to read Suite Francaise in the evenings before going to bed because it made me too sad and pensive, so I started The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. I'm still at the beginning but I'm really, really enjoying it. It's nice to read something with such a magical tone.

On a completely different note, we discovered a very cool tv show that we're now adddicted to. Heroes - does anyone else watch it? We're only at the beginning of season 1 and already it's amazing. It reminds of the David Mitchell books, where everything is connected...

Have a good day everyone!

7 comments:

Ana S. said...

Moving can be such a hassle, can't it? I hope you get settled in soon!

The Goose Girl is indeed magical...I hope you enjoy it :) And I've never watched Heroes, but I've heard good things about it.

joanna said...

Hi Nymeth, thanks! The Goose Girl is my only source of simplicity and peace at the moment so I'm enjoying it very much! :-)

Neplune said...

I loved Heroes season 1, but never watch season 2 because after a first grrrreat season they completely blew it...
So do yourself a favour and stop at the end of season 1 to spare yourself ;-)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

LOL--we're not going anywhere. :) But I know how you feel--hope the moving continues to go well.

Love Heroes. Although I'm not sure I like the direction that the show is moving (I'm watching it in real time, but I watched season 1 and 2 consecutively).

Can't wait to hear what you think of Suite Francaise. I'll be reading it later this year and don't know what to expect.

Unknown said...

Husband and I are big Hero's fans. Season 1 was awesome, last season sucked, but this season is really good so far.

Good luck getting everything unpacked and situated.

joanna said...

Neplune - oh no! We're getting through the first season really fast and don't think we'll be able to stop!! :-)

Trish - glad to hear it! :-)

Kris - glad to hear it gets better even if there is a slump somewhere in the middle, I don't think I can stop wathing until I catch up! :-)

Unknown said...

Joanna - yes - do keep watching. the 2nd season was so bad that I wasn't going to plan on watching the 3rd season, but we recorded them anyway and then one of my co-workers said it was much better, so we are back to watching them each week.