Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Challenge Wrap-Up

In 2011, I signed up for 15 challenges. Of these 15, I completed the following:

1) My 'book exchange' challenge with Alex from The Sleepless Reader. My original post is here. I read:

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Gigi by Colette

I actually liked all of them a lot, in one way or another, so this challenge was a total success!

2) The 2011 Challenge hosted by Bart's Bookshelf. You can see a list of all 20 books I read here. I had to cheat slightly and use children's books I read to my son as my re-reads, but hey, they're books too! My favorites have to be:

Winterborne and Ravenstoke, both by Augusta Blythe
The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons by Lorna Landvik
Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Thanks for hosting this fun challenge Bart!




3) The Chick Lit Challenge hosted by Twiga from Journey through the TBR pile. You can see my intro post, including the list of the 8 books I read, here. I loved all of them, except for The Class by Eric Segal, which I didn't finish, and The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble, which I found only OK. Thanks for hosting Twiga!







4) The What's in a Name? 4 Challenge hosted by Beth Fish Reads. I just love this challenge, with its quirky categories! You can see what I read here. My favorites were:

The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne

Thanks for hosting Beth, I will certainly join you for the 5th edition!




5) And last but not least, the challenge that Alex and I set up though didn't do a great job at hosting, the One, Two, Theme! challenge. This challenge was meant to encourage us to read about specific topics, which I really want to do, but didn't devote much attention to. In the end I only read one book on my New York theme, Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. And I read several books on food and nutrition:


The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
Nurturing Superwoman by Carolyn Moody
The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone

This wasn't really what I was aiming for, as you can see from my intro post. I hope that Alex wants to continue this challenge into next year and I hope that I can give it more of my attention. There are so many topics that I want to know more about!

No comments: