Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Giver

After reading Patrick Suskind's Perfume, I really wanted to read something lighter - I'm on holiday after all! So I brought Lois Lowry's The Giver along, since so very many bloggers have talked about it recently. In fact, The Giver is really one of the books that I would have never heard of if it hadn't been for the blogging world - so thanks! :-)

I loved this book! It takes place in a future where Sameness rules - there are strict rules for everything and everyone is encouraged to be the same as everyone else. The Community described is orderly and well-functioning and predictable - but at least it doesn't have war or crime or hunger. The story really makes you think about choice and about the kind of world that you'd like to live in. The specific edition I read also had some extras, like questions for kids about their ideal world and discussions on how they can each change the world they live in, for example by fighting climate change. I really liked that, how it was obviously a great choice for the classroom.

It's meant for young adults but I really enjoyed it. I literally read it in two sittings and it would have been one, but I'm here to spend time with my parents so I can't just be reading all the time! :-)

I won't tell you who The Giver is or why it's called that because I want all of you to read it yourselves!

Challenges: Banned Books Challenge and hmmm... looks like that's it, but it sure was worth it!

No comments: