Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 Goals, part 2: Bookish Goals

2010 was all about spontaneous reading for me. I didn't think I could handle challenges with a new baby and all so I didn't sign up for many. I enjoyed the freedom, but missed my reference lists, so this year I want to do a bit of both.

In 2011, I want to:
  1. Continue reading classics. I got into classics in the past few years and have been going through them slowly but surely. 2010 was the year I discovered Jane Austen and I definitely want to read more of her. There are several others on my list too, for example The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. And I'd like to re-read Jane Eyre at some point too, although I'm not sure I'll get around to it in 2011!
  2. Read second books by authors I liked. Luckily, there's a challenge set up for this, so I'm all set.
  3. Read more in Polish. I was disappointed to realise that I didn't read a single book in Polish in 2010. I think I need to include Polish books in a challenge format, otherwise I won't pick any up. Even though I'm Polish, I've been in English-speaking environments since I was 6 years old and reading in Polish is hard for me. I have to concentrate more than in English. But I do want to keep up with new Polish authors and also improve my vocabulary so I'd really like to include Polish reading in my life.
  4. Keep up with series I'm reading. I seem to read a lot of series and I seem to constantly discover new ones. I want to keep track of where I am and continue with the series I've started.
  5. Read e-books. I got a Kindle for my birthday and I want to use it - e-books, here I come!
  6. Learn more about topics that interest me. This is why Alex and I set up the One, Two, Theme! challenge... my list of topics is here.
  7. Read the books that Alex chose for me. We exchanged book recommendations and I really want to read the books she loved and thought I'd enjoy too.
  8. Read off my shelves. I'm sure many of you will understand perfectly when I say that I have a book-buying problem. I love it. I can kind of control myself when buying new books, but whenever I go to a charity sale I end of with bags and bags of new books on my shelves. Some of those need to get read - see the list I made for the TBR challenge.
  9. Re-read some favorites. There are a few books that I've been meaning to re-read because I enjoyed them so much, such as Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and the Harry Potter series. Maybe I'll get around to doing this in 2011?
  10. Knock a few books off my TBR list. Like Nymeth and probably loads of other bloggers, I have a huge list of books that I've been meaning to get to soon. I would like to read several of books from the list below in 2011 - not all, but definitely some:
    1. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
    2. The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
    3. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
    4. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    5. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
    6. Wild Swans by Jung Chang
    7. Watership Down by Richard Adams
    8. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
    9. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
    10. 1984 by George Orwell
Hmmmm.... that seems to be a lot of reading! :-)

6 comments:

Iliana said...

It is a lot of reading but it sounds wonderful! I hope to read more from my shelves too - they are overflowing. Which really, that is a nice problem to have :)

Good luck with your plans!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Great reading goals. I want to continue farther on in the Ender series myself this year. I've read the first two and recently picked up copies of Xenocide and Children of the Mind. War of Gifts is a short little thing and takes place during the events of Ender's Game. Saw it on your list and wanted to mention that it is a nice story worth reading, especially around Christmas time.

I need to catch up with my Fables reading as well and I would like to re-read some of the Anne books this year.

joanna said...

Iliana - it is a nice problem to have, you're right. And as I always say, I could be addicted to worse things, a book addiction isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things! ;-)

Carl - Thanks for the Ender info - I wasn't sure which books fit in where actually, there's also Ender's Shadow which takes place at the same time as the first one I think. Yay for Fables and Anne! :-)

Carl V. Anderson said...

Ender's Shadow does take place at that same time as Ender's Game but features the character Bean. I believe there are four books in the Bean Cycle just like there are four (if you don't count War of Gifts) in the Ender Cycle. I suppose one could alternate them but I just decided that I wanted to read Ender first.

joanna said...

ah that makes sense, I didn't know that there was an entire Bean cycle, I just knew about the one book. Thanks for clarifying!

Carl V. Anderson said...

No problem. That is about the extent of what I know of Card's books, so you've now go the sum total of my "wisdom". ;)