Monday, December 13, 2010

Birthday thoughts

Yay, it's finally here. :-) I wait for my birthday each year as if I was still a kid, the day still feels so special to me. I have friends and family over each year and whereas it's sometimes stressful to do all the preparation (this year with an 11-month-old trying to get into the kitchen cupboards), I do love making food that my guests will enjoy and spending time with those I love.

The party turned out great. :-) The food was yummy - and I added two dishes that are definite keepers to my repertoire. One is a Layered Mexican Dip - there are loads of recipes for this online, but mine came from the New Basics Cookbook. It's basically layers of kidney beans in some form, guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes and cheese. What's not to love?

The other is Nigella Lawson's Ritzy Chicken Nuggets recipe - chicken strips marinated in buttermilk, covered in Ritz cracker crumbs and baked. The recipe is available on the Food Network and is fabulous, definitely worth a try!

On to the presents... Joe got me a Kindle - but I he actually gave it to me way early, because I couldn't wait and was becoming unbearable. :-) It's fabulous. I love having all those reading choices with me at all times and I'm enjoying my purse not weighing a ton because the one or two books in there. I heart my kindle.

I'm currently adding books like crazy - good thing that so many of them are free.

I got lots of beautiful things from my friends and family - I feel truly spoiled. People don't normally get me books because they can't keep up with what I've already read and I already own, but I did get one - the third book of Fables by Bill Willingham from Alex. Thanks Alex I can't wait to start on it! :-)

And - I had the sweetest surprise this morning, when I found two gifts and a card marked To Mommy, from Shane. How cute is that? One was a candle and the other was a book on how to cook healthy food for your family. Hmmm - is this a hint from an 11-month-old baby? ;-) I think I'll keep those gift tags forever and ever.

So here we are. I'm 34 years old today and I feel like the luckiest and happiest woman on Earth. So grateful.

9 comments:

Thoughts of Joy said...

HaPpY BiRtHdAy, Joanna!

Ana S. said...

Have a wonderful birthday!

Erin said...

Happy birthday! I hope it's fantastic! :-)

Larissa said...

Gifts from Shane... that is incredibly cute, I just went "oooooh"!

Sorry I missed the party, but glad to read you had fun and love ;-)

raidergirl3 said...

Happy Birthday Joanna!
Enjoy your kindle.
Is Shane 11 months old already? Crazy.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh Joanna!! Happy birthday! :) I can just hear the excitement and joy oozing from your post and I love that. Sounds like a lovely day.

And a Kindle!!!

Would love to compare notes on your Mexi-layer dip. It's one of my favorite things to make but since my recipe calls for a million ingredients I don't make it often.

Melody said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Joanna!
I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful day. :)

joanna said...

Joy - Thank you very much! :-)

Nymeth - Thanks, I did! :-)

Erin - Thanks and it sure was!

larissa - I know, it was sooo cute!

raidergirl - it IS crazy! He'll be one soon!

trish - Thanks! :-) Mine was really simple - I'll email you the recipe when I get a chance.

Melody - thank you!

Iliana said...

I'm late to the party as usual but just wanted to send you lots of birthday wishes. Hope this year will be fabulous for you!