Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Challenge: Ireland Reading Challenge 2011


I don't think I can put off signing up for 2011 challenges any longer and the Ireland Reading Challenge is the perfect one to start with. Hosted by Carrie from Books and Movies, it's all about reading Irish authors or books set in Ireland with several levels - I'm going for the Luck o'the Irish level, which means 4 books.

Sign-ups and all information is here.

The challenge runs from January 1, 2011 to November 30, 2011. My list of possibilities is below.

Completed: 0/4 as of January 1, 2011

Ulysses by James Joyce (only if Trish organises a read-along!)
Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor
The Likeness by Tana French
The Gathering by Anne Enright
How the Irish saved civilization by Thomas Cahill
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry
My Left Foot by Christy Brown

4 comments:

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

I really liked “Let the Great World Spin” by Colum McCann and I noticed you have it on your shelves – read or TBR?

You should throw something light to the mix, like Marian Keyes or Maeve Binchy :)

raidergirl3 said...

I've read Brooklyn, The Gathering, and the Secret Scripture and liked them all. Dorian Gray made me realize I like the person Oscar Wilde but not so much the writer. But it's short!
Have fun

Anonymous said...

I loved The Likeness! And a friend and I are doing a buddy-read of the Cahill book in February - it sounds really good. :)

joanna said...

Alex - That's true, Let the Great World Spin would also qualify, I'll add it. And I think I have an anthology of Irish chick lit stories, I'll add that too!

raidergirl - I've heard such good things about pretty much all of these books, I'm excited to start reading them!

Carrie - I'm looking forward to The Likeness, I loved In the Woods.