Saturday, October 18, 2008

Read-A-Thon - Hour 1

Title of book(s) read since last update: One True Thing by Anna Quindlen
Number of books read since you started: 1
Pages read since last update: 61
Running total of pages read since you started: 61
Amount of time spent reading since last update: 40 minutes
Running total of time spent reading since you started: (keep track of this one to be eligible for a prize!) 40 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: 0
Other participants you’ve visited: 0
Prize you’ve won: 0

I finished Anna Quindlen's One True Thing - a beautiful story about a mother-daughter relationship. The mother is diagnosed with cancer and the daughter moves back home to take care of her - and is later accused of her murder. It's about getting to know your mother as a person in their own right and about how that reflects on how you know yourself. Beautifully written. I loved all the characters, inlcuding the minor ones; my favorites were Teresa the nurse and Mrs. Forburg the English teacher. I did have to try not to cry whenever I read it in public, but it was worth the minor embarassment. I recommend it and am curious about other Anna Quindlen books.

Now for the read-a-thon intro questions. If you haven's seen them go visit Dewey.

Where are you reading from today?
My apartment in sunny Brussels, Belgium.

3 facts about me
I'm a singer and actress in my spare time, I'm Polish and I just bought a beautiful house with my partner Joe
How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
14, but I'm no good at making decisions about books. I'm very well aware that reading all 14 is impossible.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
No really... I do want to update every hour and I do want to get some sleep tonight so I already know I won't do the whole 24 hours!

If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, Any advice for people doing this for the first time?
It's my first time so I'm only accepting advice! :-)

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

It sounds like a great good! I hope your next one is at least as good.

joanna said...

My next one is really different, The Third Policeman... we'll see!

Ali said...

Happy reading! I'm glad your first book was a good one. I love Anna Quindlen.

Dewey said...

I read that book a long time ago, but now it's all coming back to me. It was heartbreaking.