Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chocolat

I saw the film made of Joanne Harris' Chocolat ages ago, but didn't really like it so never bothered with the book. Then recently my friend Amy read another book by this author and I was intrigued to try it again. I love these sorts of stories, about magic but not the Harry Potter kind, the kind that makes life special and beautiful. This feeling didn't come through in the movie for me though - what a shame!

This book is about Vianne and her daughter Anouk - they arrive in a small French village and open a chocolaterie. They make some friends and more enemies, mostly due the fact that they view life differently and don't go to Church. I loved the pagan symbolism in the book and I loved the way the use of magic really made the atmosphere magical, rather than flashy.

And I loved the chocolate! I've totally been craving chocolate for the past couple of days. Vianne can totally set up shop in my neighborhood!

Challenges: 888 Challenge, Book to movie challenge, Lit Flicks, Naming Conventions, Unread Authors

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh I've been wanting to read this one. I liked the movie but I know the book will be better. Thanks for the review!

joanna said...

Hope you like it Amanda!