Monday, February 9, 2009

The Bad Beginning

The Bad Beginning is the first book in the series called A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. It's about kids and for kids and reads so quickly that I had it finished during my bedtime reading the other night.

This first book introduces the Baudelaire siblings, Violet, Klaus and Sunny, and starts off their story. Unfortunately, their story starts off sadly with their parents dying in a fire and with them being carted off to a distant relative no one has ever heard of. Needless to say that they are mistreated there. Why? Well, their parents had been very wealthy so maybe someone is out for their money!

I borrowed this from a friend's son, as I was intrigued. I was told that if I liked the Harry Potter series then I'd like this too. We'll see, I'm planning on getting the next one on audio.

One thing I did like about the book is the way it how it includes more difficult vocabulary and explains the words as part of the narrative. I didn't find it obtrusive, in fact I liked the way some of the definitions were phrased. It seems a good way to get some vocab development in!

Lemony Snicket is a pseudonym of author Daniel Handler - he's also one of the characters in the books. I haven't seen him there yet, but he's the narrator too so his voice is there!

I'm curious to read about these children's next adventures. And I really hope they manage to escape from this relative they are living with!

Challenges: 1st in a series, A-Z Challenge, 999 Challenge, Young Adult Challenge

7 comments:

Jo said...

I read these when my son was reading them. I had to keep stopping him from telling me what happened though because I was aleays one book behind him! I liked Sunny best.

joanna said...

So far Sunnny does nothing but bite! :-) I like the way she's written though - what she says and what she probably means. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've read the first 5/6 in the series and hope to get back to them sometime soon. These are great books and I often found myself laughing out loud while reading them. Great books and I must say I also loved the vocab bits throughout the books.

joanna said...

yeah, I giggled my way through the first one... Great bedtime reading! :-)

Ana S. said...

This is the only book in the series I've read. I have no idea why, because I enjoyed it a lot! It's been so long now that to continue with the series I'll have to re-read it first.

joanna said...

Nymeth - well it'll only take you a couple of hourse so at least it's doable! ;-)

Unknown said...

I loved this series! I listened to all but the last one and they were really good on audio. I prefered that over reading them.