Monday, February 23, 2009

Banned Book Challenge

Yay, another challenge! :-) I participated in this one last year and really enjoyed it, so here I am again.

The challenge is to read books that have been banned or challenged - you choose the number you want to read and read them between 22 February and 30 June. I plan to read 4 during this time, out of the list below.

For sign-ups and info, visit the Fahrenheit 451: Freedom to Read.

Completed: ALL 4/4 as of 6 June 2009 (read my wrap-up post)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (re-read)
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

Good luck, Joanna!

J.C. Montgomery said...

Yay! Nice to see you come play in this one too.

I have Isabel Allende's on my list also. I just got A Thousand Splendid Suns and can't wait to read it as I really liked his first, The Kite Runner.

I will be interested in which you are able to read and review. Good luck and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Twilight is a banned/challenged book? Really? I never would've guessed!

joanna said...

Lisa - I think many of these young adult books get challenged in one place or another... either for tackling serious issues or for introducng 'magical' elements... It's really sad...