Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Passions

Although I'm very, very late, I decided to participate in this week's Weekly Geeks event. Basically, I've been wanting to start participating in Weekly Geeks in general and I figure now is as good a time to start as any!

This week's assignment is this:

#1. What are you passionate about besides reading and blogging? For example, are you crafty (knitting, woodworking, scrapbooking, model building)? Do you cook? Into gaming (computer or board
)? Sports (player or spectator)? Photography? Maybe you like geocaching, rock climbing? Or love attending events like renaissance fairs, concerts? Music? Dancing? You get the idea.

Tell us why you're passionate about it. Post photos of what you've made or of yourself doing whatever it is you love doing.

#2. Get us involved. Link to tutorials, recipes, Youtube videos, websites, fan sites, etc, anything that will help us learn more about your interest or how to do your hobby. Maybe you'd like to link to another hobbyist whose work you admire or tell us about a book or magazine related to your interest.

#3. Visit other Wee
kly Geeks. Link in your post to other Geeks who've peaked your interest in their passion. Or maybe you might find a fellow afincionado among us, link to them.

Well, let's see now. I'm passionate about a lot of things that don't involve reading or blogging about reading! I suppose first and foremost, I am passionate about the performing arts. I sing, I act, I dance, I direct - I participate in both straight theatre and in musicals and I also sing with a small choir that ca be hired for events and that also organised its own concerts sometimes. All this happens within an English-speaking theatre community in Belgium. It's great because the various groups here stage tons of shows in English, so expats have it easy.

Here's a photo of me singing and acting the part of Peep-Bo in The Mikado:








And here's a very different photo of me dancing the part of Vibrata in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum:













I really love the stage and I'm always happy rehearsing and performing.

As you can imagine, this takes up a lot of my time, but I do still have some passions left. :-) I love food and cooking. I love recipes - I buy magazined and cookbooks like crazy and love looking through them over and over. I wish I had more time to devote to cooking, especially to healthy cooking - that's one of my resolutions for this year.

I enjoy loads of other activities, but I think that this post is long enough! :-) Can't wait to go see what everyone else has posted about!

10 comments:

Lezlie said...

LOVE the dress! But I've always been partial to leopard print. Must be all that 80's influence on me. :-) You look like you love it!

Lezlie

joanna said...

ha ha. The dress was fun indeed. And I love the 80s! :-)

Dorte H said...

I think this week´s challenge is so great because it really offers people an opportunity to show new sides of themselves :)
I would be quite shy to have to appear anywhere in your leopard print, but it is great that some people can do it as I like WATCHING theater.

Iliana said...

Wow, this is great! I learned something new about you today :)

So are you rehearsing anything new now?

Ana S. said...

How cool that you do all those things! I'm too shy to ever step on a stage, but I admire those who do! Also, love the pictures :)

Gavin said...

What fun! I did lots of Gilbert and Sullivan in summer camp. I'm glad you have such a strong English speaking theater community where you are.

joanna said...

Dorte H - you're an integral part of the process! We'd look pretty silly doing all that without an audience! ;-)

Iliana - yes, actually. It's a medley-type show called Crazy for the Music, with parts of lots of different show tunes. I have some solo/duet bits and some dance bits too. I also have a tap audition next week which seems really hard so we'll see about that!

Nymeth - I get so scared every time I have to go on stage, but the adrenalin rush keeps me coming back...

Gavin - the group I sing with used to do a lot of G&S but I prefer the Broadway musicals so I'm glad it's changed a bit!

Chrisbookarama said...

That looks like fun!

Unknown said...

I hadn't seen these pics before and I just LOVE them! You look great - it's funny to see the sweet AND the seductress ;)

joanna said...

Chris - it sure is! :-)

Amy - thanks!! That's why I put them in there, otherwise the leopard one would look a bit random. ;-)