Monday, June 29, 2009

The Little Prince

I read this (or re-read it actually) by accident, because I still didn't have anything read for the Celebrate the Author challenge and today, June 29, is the birthday of Antoine De Saint-Exupery. I read it online here and although I know that it's much nicer to read it in book format and probably also in the original French, it was still as delightful as I remembered it to be.

The Little Prince is one of those children's books with a simple story and a magical message that appeals to adults as well. If it doesn't appeal then you've left it too long between re-readings. :-)

Basically, a little prince ends up on Earth and encounters an airman whose plane has crashed in the desert. They start an unlikely friendship and the airman gets to hear about the little prince's adventures on his own planet and on the planets he visited on his way to Earth.

The messages about children and how much of the beauty of childhood we lose when we become adults are wonderful. Only children understand certain things, see certain things. As adults we forget to look with our hearts, for example. We forget what's really important.

I'm sure you've all read this at some point, but if you haven't then you must.

Oh and the illustrations are fantastic. Really a part of the story.

I feel all young and innocent now! :-)

Challenges: 999 Challenge, Celebrate the Author, Classics Challenge, Orbis Terrarum

3 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

It's been a long time since I've read this one! The pictures really are beautiful, huh? I tried to read it in French once, but it didn't go so well. :) I've since forgotten much of the little French knew.

Memory said...

It took me years to pick this up, and when I finally did I was sorry I'd waited so long. It's such a beautiful story. I think it's due for a reread, actually; I last read it in... late 2006? Quite a while ago, at any rate.

Mel u said...

"The Little Prince" is a great fairy tale type of book. It contains a great deal of wisdom. Be sure and Google what Einstein said about fairy tales