Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Dewey's Books Reading Challenge


Chris at Stuff Dreams Are Made Of and Robin at A Fondness for Reading are hosting a very special challenge in honor of Dewey from The Hidden Side of A Leaf. Chris writes:
Dewey was such a prolific reader and her reviews were honest, intriguing, and beautifully written. What better way to celebrate her wonderful life than by having a year long challenge in her name!

The point is to go browsing through Dewey's archives (on her website) and read books she read. I'm choosing option 2, so to read 5 books that Dewey reviewed. Additionally, I want them to be books I only heard of through her, not books that I've been wanting to read anyway. I list some possibilities below.

Completed: ALL 5/5 as of 10 July 2009

After Dachau by Daniel Quinn
Body Drama by Nancy Amanda Redd
Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian
Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman
The Ha-ha by Dave King
Into the Forest by Jean Hegland
Kindred by Octavia E. Butler
The Kings Are Already Here by Garret Freymann-Weyr
The Little Women bz Katharine Weber
The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
The Pesthouse by Jim Crace

Others:
Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

4 comments:

Lezlie said...

I have "After Dachau" and "Pesthouse" in my sights for this year, too. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on them!

Lezlie

chrisa511 said...

great list!! Glad to have you aboard!

joanna said...

Lezlie - I've never heard of them, but Dewey's reviews intrigued me...

Chris - Thanks!

joanna said...

Thanks Chris!