Monday, December 22, 2008

Graphic Novels Challenge


Until this year, I didn't count graphic novels as 'proper' books, but rather as comics. Don't stone me yet, I changed my mind! :-) After reading loads of reviews of graphic novels, I'm now very intrigued. Fortunately, Laza of Gimme More Books is hosting the 2009 Graphic Novels Challenge on it own dedicated blog.

There are several choices and I think I'll aim to read 6 graphic novels in 2009. If I end up really liking this genre, I might increase that goal, we'll see. For ideas, visit Dewey's challenge blog from 2008.

Completed: ALL 6/6 as of 28 November 2009

Maus I by Art Spiegelman
Maus II by Art Spiegelman

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

I would NEVER stone you, dear Joanna, but I will say one thing: "graphic novels" ARE comics, and comics are proper books :P I kind of dislike the term "graphic novels" because I get the feeling it was made up just to pretend comics aren't what they actually are, so that they could become "respectable". And I don't think the medium has anything to prove, nor that it needs to change names to gain "respectability".

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now :P I know that the idea that comics are silly and shallow and less than other books is very widespread, and without having read any it's really very difficult to think any differently. And there are loads of things I have preconceived notions about myself.

I love your list, and I hope you have fun with the challenge!

Unknown said...

Hey there, thanks for joining! When you get a chance, shoot me an email at gimmemorebooks10 at gmail dot com and I'll add you as an author to the blog.

Kailana said...

I like this type of book, but... I read them so fast that it is hard to justify the expense! That's my big problem. I would love to do this challenge, but I would have to buy them all... If I had a decent library, or even someone to exchange them with, I would feel a lot better about it! That being said, I have read a couple of the books that you are reading and plan to read a few others!

joanna said...

I'm glad you'd never stone me Nymeth! :-) The only comics I read as a kid even were the Archie ones and they were fun. I guess I just didn't know until now that there were comics about subjects like women in Iran. :-)

Laza - ok, thanks, will do!

Kailana - I'll have to buy all of the them as well, although I put a few on my Christmas list so hopefully I'll get a couple as gifts. :-) These sorts of books seem so beautiful though that I think I'd like to keep them anyway.