Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Year of Reading Dangerously


I was too late to sign up for this last year, but here I am for the 2009 edition. It's a great idea - read 12 books that you deem dangerous, for whatever reason. For detailed information and rules, see the challenge post. It is hosted by Estella and runs from 1 January to 31 December 2009.

I'm listing possibles, rather than making a final list. :-)

Completed: 7/12 as of 27 October 2009

Books that I find daunting:
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Wild Swans by Jung Chang

New-to-me genres:
Western:
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey
Graphic Novels:
Long Way Home by Joss Whedon
No Future For You by Joss Whedon and Brian Vaughn
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Wolves at the Gate by Joss Whedon et al.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Volume 1 by Joss Whedon et al.

6 comments:

Ana S. said...

I'm a little bit scared of all of those books too, except for Lawrence and I used to find him daunting too. That's a brave list - best of luck with the challenge! I look forward to all your reviews. Maybe they'll give me the encouragement I need to read the books myself :P

joanna said...

All these books have been sitting on my shelf for years, so I hope to get to at least some of them. Even if I read a few off this list and fill the rest with, let's say, graphic novels, that will still be good! :-)

Lezlie said...

Great list! I can already vouche for "War & Peace" and "Crime and Punishment". Both well worth it!

Lezlie

joanna said...

I've heard so many good things about both!

Tasha said...

This looks like a good list. Of your choices, I have read only The Grapes of Wrath, which I enjoyed. Good luck!

joanna said...

Charley, I've heard good things about that one and am looking forward to it!