Monday, December 22, 2008

TBR Challenge

I missed this one last year too, so am very happy to be able to participate this year. I think I need at least one challenge where I'm reading from my TBR stacks and where I'm not really allowed to change my mind a lot as I go along. :-)

Jenn is hosting the TBR Challenge for 2009 - check out the challenge post for the detailed rules. The basics are to read 12 books from your existing TBR stacks. You're not allowed to change your list after 1 January, but you are allowed to have a list of 12 alternates so that you have some choice. I'll be reading books that I already own for this challenge.

Completed: 3/12 as of 2 September 2009

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
The Devil: A Biography by Peter Stanford
An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks
The Optimists by Arthur Miller
Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
When the Sky Fell In - In Search of Atlantis by Rand Flem Ath and Rose Flem Ath
Wild Swans by Jung Chang
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Alternates:
Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrisson
Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth
The Names by Don DeLillo
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik

4 comments:

Lezlie said...

Great list! It's a fun challenge. It seems so easy when you start, then all of a sudden you find you've read everything *except* what was on the list! I have a better plan to tackle all my challenges this year. I think. :-)

Lezlie

joanna said...

Ooh, what's your plan Lezlie?? ;-)

Lezlie said...

Instead of reading one from this challenge, then one from that challenge, I'm going to make a valiant attempt to tick them off one or two challenges at a time, cross-challenging whenever I can. I think I'll be starting with the What's In A Name and the Art History Challenges. Those should go pretty quickly.

Have you heard anything about a 2009 version of the Chunkster Challenge or 1% Well-Read Challenge? I'd like to see those back again.

joanna said...

Yeah, I was thinking of doing something similar for at least some of the challenges... we'll see. And no, I haven't seen anything about those two - but I think that the 1% one started later in the year so it might still come...