Thursday, December 11, 2008

What's in a Name 2


Debi has organised the second What's in a Name challenge! I was too late last year, which was really sad because the challenge looked like so much fun. This year the categories are different, but the fun remains! :-)

The challenge runs from 1 January to 31 December 2009 and requires us to read one book from each of 6 categories - they're explained in the original challenge post. I'm not doing a final list, only some possibilities...

Completed: ALL 6/6 as of 15 July 2009 (read my wrap-up post)

A book with a "profession" in its title:
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
The Historian by Elisabeth Kostova
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

A book with a "time of day" in its title:
Twillight by Stephanie Meyer
Night by Elie Wiesel
The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

A book with a "relative" in its title:
Shopaholic and Sister by Sophie Kinsella
The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

A book with a "body part" in its title:
The Bone People by Keri Hulme
Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
Murder on a Bad Hair Day by Anne George

A book with a "building" in its title:
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

A book with a "medical condition" in its title:
The Plague by Albert Camus
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland

4 comments:

Lezlie said...

Great choices! I think a lot of us are considering The Historian for the "profession" catagory. :-)

Lezlie

Louise said...

I tried to read The Historian a few years ago but never managed to get more than 100 or so pages read. Looking forward to see what you think about it. I did read Love in the Time of Cholera and liked it. The other books I don't know but they look like great choices.

And oh, by the way. It was me who really liked the look of your blog with the third column. Was there a website explaining how to do that? If so, could you post it here again. Please :-) I need that third column as my blogroll is growing outta control although I do weed out from time to time.

Iliana said...

Such good choices. Two of my favorites are Love in the Time of Cholera and The Hummingbird's Daughter. I hope you enjoy them.

Even though I won't be finishing this year's challenge I'm planning to sign up for next year's :)

Have fun with the challenge!

Penelope said...

I love your choices! I've added the Historian to my list, as well. I started reading it this year, but never got around to finishing it, though it was pretty interesting.

Have fun in the challenge!