Tuesday, December 23, 2008

World Citizen Challenge

Here's another non-fiction challenge, hosted by Eva at A Striped Armchair - the World Citizen Challenge. Between 1 January and 31 December 2009, we are to read a number of books from categories dealing with different aspects of the world we live in.

There are many options and rules (see the challenge post for the details) but I will aim for the most difficult, 7 books including one from each category listed. Although I reserve the right to switch down to a lower number of books! :-)

My list is half-empty to start with because I decided to use this challenge opportunity to visit my local bookstore and raid the non-fiction section. Just get whatever seems interesting at the time. :-)

Completed: 2/7 as of 20 February 2009

Politics:

Economics:
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

History:

Culture or Anthropology/Sociology:
The Good Women of China by Xinran

Worldwide Issues:
Affluenza by Oliver James

Memoirs/Autobiographies:
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

6 comments:

Lezlie said...

Affluenza is awesome! I want to re-read that one.

Lezlie

joanna said...

Oh I'm so glad to see you say that Lezlie! I bought it because I needed a third book for a 3-for-2 deal and there was nothing else remotely interesting. But it didn't get very good reviews on amazon so I was wondering about it... Now I'm looking forward to reading it!

Lezlie said...

I'm one of those people who is highly irritated by consumerism/materialism. People who have bought into the "bigger, better, more" mindset probably hate this book. It's one that got me thinking seriously about how I can live more in line with what really matters to me rather than being influenced by, in my case, "American ideals".

Lezlie

Lezlie said...

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, Joanna!
Lezlie

joanna said...

I'm not in the 'bigger, better' mindset either, so I think I'll like it too. :-)

Merry Christmas to you too Lezlie!

Eva said...

Thanks so much for joining up! I've added you to the blog. :)